Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday, May 30, 2009 - Every Day of the Week

Howdy, y'all!

What's up?

The big news of the week is that I'm getting released from the office. At the end of the transfer, I'll be going back into the field. I have some mixed feelings about that, but I've come to realize that whenever the Lord asks me to do something, it never turns out as bad as it seems. So I've been turning to getting excited to be truly back out there. It's like getting a mission call all over again.
My replacement is Elder Sosi. I met him on the second day of my mission and he's been serving in Abilene for many months. He has been in the Abilene zone for over a year! I would hate to get "stuck" in one place for so long, but he didn't seem to mind that much. He's already been in Lubbock for a few days and the training is underway.

To welcome him to the office, the Robisons took all of us to Smoothie King and got each of us a smoothie. That place is pretty good. We also drove around at the Texas Tech campus. His companion, Elder Tuttle, came with him to Lubbock and he's just going to serve with Elders Craven and Pitts until the end of the transfer. Their old area is temporarily split between the other Abilene missionaries. (There's only four in the whole city now!)

On Monday, I got to meet my Missionary Granddad! There were a couple of RMs touring the mission and visiting people. One of them was Elder Webb, who trained Elder Jenkins, my trainer! He told us of some things that happened on his mission and afterwards, too. The other was Elder Grider, who was actually one of Elder Northey's old companions, so it was a cool day for all of us. Elder Webb's a big guy, Elder Jenkins was a little smaller than him and I'm smaller than both of them - I highly doubt this trend will continue, though (if there's anything to continue). We also went to the Lubbock 4th ward's Memorial Day picnic. There was a great turn out and the weather was perfect. ... and we had burgers.

Oh, and this Sunday, I'm giving another talk. At the picnic, Bishop McCauley and Brother Sybrowsky came up to ask if I could speak. During the 5th Sunday third-hour lesson, the assistants are coming over to introduce to the ward the "Family Mission Plan", which is actually very exciting - it has great potential to accomplish a lot. So they want the speakers during sacrament meeting to set it up and get everyone excited about doing missionary work. With about 300 active members, I would have thought that I would not get the chance again to speak, but here I go - and just before I leave, too. (Incidentally, both the bishop and Brother Sybrowsky were absent when I spoke the first time around. And, sadly (or "fortunately"), President and Sister Robison will be out of town in another ward.)

On Tuesday, we took Elders Blackmer and Olsen to the airport. Elder Blackmer is from Alberta and his visa was going to expire about a week early; so he just decided to go home rather than go through all the trouble to even find the possibility of getting a week's extention. Elder Olsen had a job opportunity back home that would not be available if he waited, so they both went home (only about four weeks before they were supposed to). It was tough to see them go; it seems like this is every time. I can only imagine what it's like for the Robisons.

On Wednesday, Elder Newman's back was really hurting. So we went over to their place and Elder Sosi gave him a deep tissue massage. He used oil and everything. He's pretty talented.

On Thursday, we went to the mission home and I re-imaged the computer (backed up files, wiped everything and reinstalled the programs) there. We also went to the old apartment, cleaned the place up and did the final inspection. I'm going to miss that place.

On Friday, we had interviews. In mine, President Robison and I mostly talked about getting back into the field. We also helped the Petersons move. They got a big U-Haul and we loaded it up. Then they gave us pizza.

Maybe that's one thing I'm going to miss about the office. I don't remember this many different and crazy things happening in just one week before coming to Lubbock. I don't know.

Anyways, I'm sending some pictures; let me know if you didn't get them.

There's something I get to do often, but I still don't do often enough, and that's bear my testimony. I know that the Church is true. Only here do we have God's official messenger and Christ's true and complete gospel.If it's not here, it's not anywhere. That gospel is not just a message, it's the power of God unto salvation. Isn't that amazing? Power - the difference between night and day; between ignorance and joy; between eternal stagnation and chaos and exaltation. The power to change yourself and get rid of anything unwanted about yourself is in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I love you! Have a good week!

-Elder Brandon Wong

Something I wish I knew before my mission: that no matter what the outlook, things never turn out so bad.

No comments: