Hey,
How's it going?
Things ain't too bad here.
Last week (and I forgot to mention this last time), I woke up to Sisters Wallwork and Smith calling on the phone, saying that they have a flat tire. How their car got a flat tire just by sitting parked all night, I don't know, but they were pretty worried about it. I tried to explain how to change it over the phone, but it didn't quite work. I am actually thankful that you showed me how to change a tire, Dad. One would think that it is simple enough to figure out on your own, but I guess not.
Sadly, everyone was so surprised that I can change a tire. I had to do district leader follow-ups while showing these two clowns how to use a car jack and everybody on the phone kept asking "wait, you know how to change a car tire?" Thanks a lot, guys. Don't act too surprised.
Now, one thing I DON'T know how to do is bake. We've been experimenting with baking cookies for our investigators. It's cheap, "easy", makes people happy and we get to have the leftover cookies. Win-win. The first batch, though, we burnt. It was still edible, but certainly not worthy to give to others. We're getting better at it, though. Maybe one day, we'll upgrade from the store-bought cookie dough powder to from scratch. ... or maybe not.
Also - the best news of the day - we went to Lubbock to celebrate! We were gathered together as a mission for the first time in the history of the mission - seven years. It is probably also the first time in the history of the past missions that covered this region. It was so fun seeing everyone again. I kinda miss that from being in the office.
But anyways, they set up risers in front of the temple and we took a picture as a mission. We also had lunch and a special fireside (I guess you could call it that). Before we knew it, we were driving home. That day went by way too fast. It seems we were on the road longer than in Lubbock. Whatever; it was fun, and we should do it more often.
Other than that, we've been trying to visit a lot of less-active people in our ward. As Brother Bilodeau explained a long time ago, a ward is like a baby-sitter. If a baby-sitter has a reputation or a habit of losing children, no parent would trust her with more of their children. Similarly, if a ward cannot retain God's children, then He won't trust that ward with any more of His children and He will lead them to the truth in other ways (usually by having them move away).
It's interesting to think about and study cause and effect in Heavenly Father's eyes. Does your situation affect your happiness, or vice versa? Is it usually the wealthier members who stay stronger in the Church, or the more active members who end up more prosperous? Would an invitation to be baptized be strengthened if the investigator came to church, or would they be more likely to come to Church if they were looking forward to being baptized? Those are just a few to start with. People have ideas set in their minds so strongly, that nothing else makes sense. All it takes to make sure your basics, or your anchors, are correct and in the right place.
It rained a tiny bit on Saturday.
I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know that this is His Church.
I love you.
-Elder Brandon Wong
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment