Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday, March 4, 2010 - Last Zone Conference

Hello!

How are things going?

It's been a pretty good week.

Today is Elder Engstrom's year mark. That means it's Elder Cherrington's also.

We just had zone conference on Tuesday. It was my last one, and it was on my 23rd-month mark. It was very good - probably the best yet. The zone leaders spoke about talking with everyone you pass, at least ten people per day. I was asked to bear my "final testimony", it being the last time in a zone conference before I go home.

This weekend, we also had our stake conference. (This transfer starts with stake conference and will end with General Conference. Isn't that cool? (That'll also be the fifth General Conference in my mission.)) The stake president is President Vest. He was just called six months ago, making this his first official stake conference as president. He is also very young (~35), energetic, and also very missionary-minded. He gave a powerful talk in the general session, where he declared the stake presidency's vision for the stake. He used the same scripture that President Jarvis used that says that where there is no vision, the people perish. As part of the vision, he included that the Amarillo Stake will be split within ten years.

Visiting the conference was Elder Gibbons of the Seventy. He testified of this and said it could be done in even less time. Elder Gibbons is a very good speaker. I enjoyed listening to his talks during the three sessions I attended.

President Robison told the missionaries that there are two other stakes who are also planning on splitting in the next few years. He wants it done before he goes home in 16 months! Sister Robison said that it seems that once we doubled baptisms, everyone else jumped on board, and saw what could be made of this region and what the people and members here are capable of accomplishing.

Anyways, I'm glad that I've been able to witness the changes that have gone on here and I'm excited to see what else we can do.

I have been getting all your emails (at least, I think it's all; I wouldn't know how to tell if I've missed any), and I'm still looking for a way to send pictures home. Keep on the lookout. It may be that I can only send a few at a time.

I am learning so much every day.
I love this work, and I know the Church is true.

Love,
-Elder Brandon Wong

No comments: