Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday, June 22, 2009 - New Beginnings

Hello!

It's great to hear about the cool things going on in Montreal, especially Jason's mission call! There's nothing but hot going on here in Abilene. Actually, it has been slightly cooler than we expected, but cooler than 100 degrees isn't really saying much.

Also, may I say now, that these computers at this library are really awful. All it does is let you on the Internet, and slowly, at that. With that, it may take some time for me to get you my pictures. Just hang tight.

Oh, and - can't forget - Happy Fathers' Day! I hope it went well. Our Fathers' Day was spent getting to know people in Abilene 3rd Ward. There's some really great people here. We didn't get to talk to Bishop Hill much, but he's really friendly. We also got the leftover Fathers' Day cinnamon rolls.

Anyways, transfers went well. I was able to meet the greenies for this transfer. They are a great bunch and have really bonded well in the MTC. I had my last two dinners by Sister Robison. I also got to say goodbye to Elders Griffin, Winterton and Goodfellow. That was a good bunch going home. After all of the transfer stuff was done, I said goodbye to President and Sister Robison, the Hansens, packed all of my stuff, and Elder Tuttle and I loaded the van. With lunch, getting gas at the station, getting a map... it took a while to finally leave Lubbock. But we did, and it took about three hours to arrive in Abilene (or two-and-a-half, with Elder Tuttle's driving). Ironically, we got to Abilene before the transfer bus did, which left at least two hours before us! I'm so glad we didn't take the bus, because of the extra hours and because I had too much stuff.

Ever since then, we've been out working and trying to meet people. It was hard trying to get visits with the members of the ward, since everyone was at Scouts' camp or YW's camp. In fact, the bishop is getting ready for the second one this week!

I'm going to miss Lubbock, but I'm excited to be here. It's tough getting back into the swing of things, though, especially when either of us hardly know the area (Elder Tuttle's been in Abilene his whole mission, but mostly in the 2nd ward area). Even with all that said, I don't think it'll take much for us to get used to things and really make this area work.

Anyways, I'll keep you updated.

The Church is true!

In the past couple days, I've been studying on the Melchizedek Priesthood, and the temples. (check out D&C 84:~18-25 and D&C 107,124, Abr 1, etc. and a talk by (I think) Ezra Taft Benson called "What I Hope You Will Teach Your Children About the Temple" - good stuff.) Yet more things that Joseph Smith could not have invented, even with others to help, in a million years. These things only come from God.

I love you!
Take care.

-Elder Brandon Wong

No comments: