Sunday, June 14, 2009

Saturday, June 13, 2009 - Hotter than Heaven

Hello!

This is my last P-day in Lubbock!

President Robison arranged to meet with Elder Northey, Elder Sosi and I individually the other day. We all thought we were in trouble. But actually, he just spoke with us to tell us about our upcoming assignments. He told me where I'll be serving, etc. I'm just taking over Elder Sosi's old spot (area, companion, position, everything). Everything there is exactly the same as before, except it's me instead of Elder Sosi. No pressure, right?

Yesterday, we had the Robisons' wedding anniversary! A couple months ago, I was wondering when their anniversary was and if we could do something for it. I was going to ask one of their kids, but I decided that if I just asked Sister Robison, she would tell me, then forget that she told me. I found out the date, and sure enough, it never crossed her mind since. So when it got close to June, I told the others, and we started planning something. We finally (at the last minute) decided on a picnic. The Mortensens agreed to let us use their backyard. The Hansens brought fried chicken and organized all the desserts. We called everyone, told them to be early, park somewhere else, and hide in the backyard. Chief (Mortensen) called and invited them [the Robisons] to lunch the next day, "just the four of them".

On Friday, we had our weekly meetings with him, and tried to hurry them up so we could leave early. Everyone arrived before they showed up, and when they came into the backyard, we jumped out. They were so pleasantly surprised. We had a really good time, and the senior couples even put on a little show for us.

Also, President Robison ordered a new car, and has been waiting for it since November. They promised it would come in December, then March, then May. Finally, last Friday, the dealership called saying it was ready. We were all set to call him and inform him, but then Elder Sosi suggested we surprise him at the party with it. So on Thursday, we went there to pick it up and then hid it in the Mortensens' garage. We even had a big ribbon bow made at Michael's. At the end of the party, we had everyone stand behind it, while they [the Robisons] walked up with their eyes closed. It was a lot of fun.

The Robisons really are great people. They are so dedicated and hard-working. They love all the missionaries and know what's best for them. I'm so glad that I've been able to work so closely with them, get to know them better, and love them even more than I did before (which I now know is possible). Funny, they're all talking as if I'm going home. I guess it's more like leaving home; especially in their eyes.

Anyways, to answer some of your questions... the "tall guy" is Brother Miller. The Millers are a young couple who signed up to do the Family Mission Plan. So we went over and had a great lesson with them. They wrote a list of people they know, whether or not they're ready to receive the missionaries yet. Then we got on our knees and prayed to ask which of them are ready and need most to have the Gospel. I didn't even open my eyes before Sis Miller had a few names written. We then made a plan for each one on the list - not on how to invite the missionaries, but to fellowship, get to know them better, and introduce the Gospel. He's 6'7" and she's shorter than me.

The guy playing the piano was Chief Mortensen. He's very good. He knows how to enjoy life. He's very easy-going, happy, friendly, and just a good man. Both he and Sister Mortensen are really great people.

And we do have a deep-fryer in the basement. Elder Pitts felt like spending some money so he went to Wal-Mart and bought a mini-deep-fryer for about $30. We've used it to make fries, hashbrowns, homefries, etc. on more than one evening, We've had meals that consist of hamburgers (with the George Foreman grill), fries, sausages, hashbrown patties... basically anything that has a high potential to kill you.

Living with Elder Sosi is great. Do you remember those giant leis made of candy that he gave to the Roses before they left? Well, he showed me how to make them. It's actually not too hard. He also sings and plays the ukulele when we're bored. He's also taught us several expressions in Samoan. Ironically, he was born in California and raised in Utah. He just has so much love for everyone.

It's exciting to hear about the progress in the Stake. I heard from somewhere that the missionaries doubled baptisms in Montreal - is that true, or is it in the stake, or what? I also heard the opposite - that missionary work was struggling. Could you clarify that for me?

Also, in the middle of writing this, I left to go to the temple. Elder Griffin, who's going home on Wednesday, went to witness the marriage of a member that he helped teach and baptize. He needed a companion while in there, so I got to go. I've never witnessed a sealing before, and it was quite an experience. We also took pictures outside. It was HOT today. I'm not eager to get out into the July heat down south.

Speaking of which, we had about two minutes of marble-sized hail today. We were on our way to the family fun center to use the batting cages, and it started hailing. It wasn't big, but it was really hard. We found a shelter to park under until it passed. There were a whole bunch of other people there, too.

Did I mention I got another haircut from Sis Sybrowsky? If I didn't, I did now.

We also got the chance to go to Carino's for dinner. We got some sort of promotional advertisement in the mail, which included scratch coupons to Carino's. I think it goes from $5 off to $500 off. Also, Sister Mangum, one of the most generous people ever, gave us some money for food. So with the two together, we went to eat out. I got the five-meat bowtie pasta dish, and it was heavenly. Even with a $13 meal (or $10, in my case), five dollars off can make a big difference.

We also went to check out a new apartment for some sister missionaries. We found an okay place, but it wasn't going to be available on time, so we found another place to stay temporarily. We went there and signed papers, and we asked if we could get a tour. He agreed. The whole street is commercial, so we weren't sure where it was. The bottom floor is an abandoned furniture store. There are very steep stairs that lead to the second floor where the offices were converted into apartments. It looks like it was done in the 1920s. The hallway truly reminds you of a mental health hospital. The apartments are very run down. The sinks are older than any five people put together, as are the stoves. The metal "8" on the door frame was upside down. In the bathroom, the toilet and sink are facing each other, and are less than a foot apart. You can literally sit on the toilet and wash your hands. Needless to say, we couldn't do it. Fortunately, another place called totally out of the blue and offered a place; proving that God does answer prayers.

Also, we had the chance to see a lot of nice, big houses while driving and... long story short, I've just decided that I'm going to be rich.

Speaking of answering prayers, I know that any father that loves His children will not ignore them. likewise, our Heavenly Father does not ignore us. He hears and answers every call that we send Him. He has all power, all wisdom, and does everything in our best interests. With someone like that on our side, how can you reject Him, or turn away from Him? I'm not perfect, but I have turned to Him. Turn to Him, follow His Son Jesus Christ, and you will not be lead astray.

I probably won't be able to write really long emails anymore, but things are going great here. It's really hot in Texas (over 100 today), but that doesn't change the fact that I know that the Church is true.

I love you! Have a great week.

-Elder Brandon Wong

Something I wish I knew before my mission: how to think fast.

No comments: