Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday, July 20, 2009 - Yes, you can take some of this heat

Hey!

How's it going?

I'm very jealous of the beautifully cold summer temperatures you're getting. It's been consistently over 100 for the past couple weeks. even in the evenings, it's over 90 as we go to bed. Today, we've been getting some clouds and dribble, but it's still hot. It wasn't this bad last year, that's for sure. Still, it could be worse. I'm glad I'm not in a bike area, like Elders Lofgran and Allred. Plus, we have the miracle of AC. Thank you, state-side mission.

It is so weird that I've been teaching some people in French. Ever since the Sisters introduced me to some of those African refugees, it almost seems I've been teaching more in French than in English! When I served in San Angelo, I joked with the ward during a speaking assignment that I also knew French, "which, you know, has been really useful here in West Texas". Now, I'm using it every other day or more. I guess Heavenly Father wants me to keep my French abilities and develop them. Maybe I'm meant to use them a lot more later on. But in any case, I got my hands on a French triple [combination scriptures] and I've been studying out of it everyday. Soon, I should be getting a French "Preach My Gospel" in order to better teach the lessons. For the time being, I'm just using the pamphlets and translating what little I can into French.

We also went on exchanges with President Robison on Tuesday. He was passing through town that day and decided to go with several missionaries to whatever appointments we had. He does that as often as occasion would permit, to get a feel for the work and what it's like. The Robisons have been out for a little over a year, now. It's really cool seeing them as they work at improving their own mission, not just everyone else's. We set up an appointment, but it got cancelled at the last minute, so we knocked on some doors with him. Only one guy answered and he angrily told us to get lost. Then President suggested that we visit someone that he knew lived in town and that we also knew. So it ended up being a good experience.

Also, could you send me the addresses of all the missionaries out that I know? I've been terrible at writing letters. I guess I'm just not used to having that many friends that live elsewhere than here.

Oh, and we went with Dalia to the Family History Center at the chapel, to help her start her family history work. She has been excited about this for some time and is eager to do temple work. It's probably one of the things about the Church that she loves the best.

That reminds me: have you gone on the new FamilySearch? All the work is being centralized, so there are no duplicates (especially in temple work), and so that other members of your extended family can find the work you've done. I'm not sure of the exact website, but it's something like new.familysearch.org. You should check it out and put whatever we have on it.

Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed your Church history trip, and I hope you have a great week.

I know that Heavenly Father lives and loves us, and that His Son, Jesus Christ is real. (I've just been reading Alma 34 lately, and it's really cool) I also know that the Church is true. These two facts reinforce each other. Without one, the other is not true.

I love you! Take care.

-Elder Brandon Wong

No comments: