Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday, July 6, 2009 - En français, s'il vous plait!

Hey!

How are things going?
It was nice to hear that you had a good holiday.

For the 4th of July, we went with the other Elders to Helen's place and played cards/games. She made us Hawaiian haystacks, too. Helen is Elder Sosi's cousin who lives in Abilene. In fact, they only discovered each other a couple of months ago. Ever since then, she has been one of the best member-missionaries there are and she has helped the full-time missionaries over and over.

Speaking of Independence Day, how's this for American: I taught a lesson in French this week! The Sisters have been working with a few people from Africa (some are refugees), most of which speak Swahili, French and very little English. For example, they have been visiting a man named Noe (Noah, in English) and they would communicate as best as they could, but not very well. There are quite a few people who could be taught, if it weren't for the language barrier. They got some French materials, but they prayed that someone who knows Swahili or French would move to Abilene to help them. Surprise, surprise.

Anyways, they were concerned because people from other churches were coming and speaking French. Long story short, I got transferred here and we've gone over to talk with him. It was refreshing for him to actually understand more than 30% of what the missionaries were saying, but it was tough for me. Now I know for sure I wasn't meant to go to a foreign-speaking mission. Anyhow, most of the lesson was just me and him talking. He wanted to know what was the point of another book (The Book of Mormon) and how it can help. He was studying to be a preacher when he was in Africa. All I got out of it was that we were welcome back, so I'd say it went well.

We also got to teach a lesson in a hotel. We were meeting with Ann, who's the mother of someone who joined the Church a short while ago. It's kinda far to drive out there, so we decided to meet at a restaurant. When we got there, it was too crowded and too loud. So she suggested a nearby hotel. It's called the Elegante Suites - high class. She took us to eat at the restaurant inside. Then, we had a great lesson with her. After we were done, she left and we took a look at the rest of the hotel. It was spacious and beautiful. Like I said before, I just have to be rich. Can't be any other way.

On the flip side, we finally got our bikes together and in working order, and we did some riding. Because of this, we've actually saved a lot of miles on our little van. Unfortunately, not long after riding for the first time, Elder Tuttle got a flat tire. I'm okay with driving through the heat, though.

I also got your package - thanks! The postmaster dropped it off at the apartment office, which closed before we got there for three days; so I just got it this morning. Now I'll have enough soup to last me for months! And, it's true, they did try ketchup chips in America (it was sold at Wal-Mart), but they were terrible. Too sweet and not strong enough. Just like Lipton's soup, the Canadian stuff is better. I did find a decent bag of salt and pepper, which is becoming more and more popular here. I'm happy about that. By the way, what's with all the Canadian rubber magnets?

We also had zone conference in San Angelo, which was fun. It's been a while since I've been to a zone conference not as an Office Elder.

It's been raining here and there for a couple weeks. Naturally, it got hot in between the showers.

Also, as a mission, we had a goal to have 35 baptisms in June and maintain that as an average. In June, we got 38. So President has arranged a celebration. On Thursday, we're going to Midland (the three southern zones) and having... pretty much a game/activity day (from what I understand). When we hit an average of 40 per month, and thereby succeed in doubling baptisms in this mission, everyone is coming to Lubbock (Greyhound buses and all) and we're taking a picture in front of the temple as a mission. I can only imagine the celebration then.

Well, I'm going to go. I sent all the pictures I have so far. We're also going to have a little celebration for Sister Carbajal's birthday.

The Church is true, and the Gospel is Truth.

I love you!

-Elder Brandon Wong

No comments: