Hey everyone,
It's my first p-day (they're on Mondays), and I'm sitting in the Brownwood public library
(Editor's Note: P-Day is short for Preparation Day when they have time to do personal things like shopping for food and things, do the apartment cleaning chores, write letters, etc.)
Last week, we got up at 4:15 in the morning to get ready and we flew out at around 8 or 9 in the morning. We (the six in our district) travelled with six other missionaries going to the same place and mission - three in English, three in Spanish. There were two flights totalling about 4-5 hours in the air. it wasn't too bad, but I still felt awful the whole time
We were greeted at the airport by President and Sister Rose. We went to their home and were interviewed and took pictures, etc. He and the other office elders gave us orientation and other information and rules. We also went to get a bike. All the second-hand ones were taken, so I got a new one
I've been assigned to the Brownwood area. It's a tiny town (pop. 20 000) about three hours from Lubbock deep in the heart of Texas. The area also covers two other small towns.
The transfer bus goes up and down Texas bringing missionaries back and forth, and with all the stops it took around 6-8 hours to get here.
My first companion is Elder Jenkins. He's from St-George, Utah, and he's been out here for nearly 20 months.
We have an apartment in Brownwood (and it's across the street from another church) the address is:
Elder Wong
1300 - 13th Street, #221
Southmore Terrace
Brownwood TX 76801
My very first lesson was taught to a man named Daniel, who turned out to be the Preacher for the 4th street Church of Christ. He quoted the New Testament left and right off the top of his head, and didn't quite believe in receiving answers to prayers, but has agreed to read from the Book of Mormon.
We get a limited number of miles on our car, but we're nowhere near that, so far we haven't gone on the bikes. Next month, though, we have zone conference in another city, so we'll have to use miles for that.
Our studies are almost completely focused on the Book of Mormon and the New Testament (in order to suit the needs of the people here) - there's pretty much a church on every city block.
This past Sunday, we went to the Comanche branch for church. we live in the Brownwood branch, but we cover three units, and try to go to the others when we can. including us two, there were nine people in the building (a converted dentist's office). It was raining, so that might have kept some from coming (there's usually 10-15). We gave the talks in sacrament meeting - I actually managed to fill the last 35 minutes with very little preparation!
Even without having gone to the Brownwood branch yet, I was still able to see a lot of the 30+ members. Especially Alma, the "missionary mother", she's very friendly and even does our laundry for us!
The Church is true!
I love you all!
-Elder Brandon Wong
Monday, April 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Brandon,
I love that you took the time to explain what a P-Day is...haha
Is that the first time you've been in a plane? I'm almost afriad you're going to come back with some sarcastic response because of COURSE you've been on a plane and I should remember that.... but yeah, I can't actually remember. SO I'll ask. In the hopes that you won't ridicule me and my bad memory ;) ...I've never been on a plane, and I don't get motion sick..but apparently flying is totally different. So maybe I'd feel awful too?
Anyway...continuing to read the letter now...Rose...what a pretty last name! Hm...I should marry a Rose. Marissa Rose. Nah...dosen't sound great, But it would be great for a mission! "Hi! I'm Sister Rose!" Doesn't that sound nice? >I< wouldn't close the door on someone with that kind of name. They CLEARLY have something worthwhile to say with a name like that. Okay....I'm going to stop ranting now...and continue reading....
A new bike...niiice ;) (haha...I forgot you'd be biking everywhere...and you'd be getting sexy legs, right?)
P.S.
If anyone other than Brandon just read that...I'm not commenting on his legs....I'm reminding him of the time that HE commented on his OWN legs. Brandon..I hope you remember this..or I just sound....insane... Moving on AGAIN. (Wow....I'm distracted for this letter...)
Okay..so I just finished off your letter and I have so much I want to say!! Okay: So I'm confused...you have a car, but can only use so many miles (but you hadn't used any yet). But then you said you hadn't used your bikes either. So...how exactly were you getting around? I can't believe EVERYTHING'S within walking distance?
I don't know why...but I never imagined Texas as a place with churches on every corner.....probably cause I think of Cowboys and bars. Yes I know...stereotypical. THIS is why I want to travel.
Are you serious? 7 people? A dentist office? No way! Why would you have three little branches instead of combining into one ward? Wouldn't that make more sense?
But hey! congrats on the 35 minute impromptu talk! What did you speak about?
Say hello to your companion Elder (scrolling down to check) Jenkins! I hope eveyrhting's going well! How did things work out with Daniel (ALSO had to scroll and check)?
I'm so proud of you Brandon!
Marissa
Post a Comment