Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday, February 14, 2009 - Chocolate, chinese food, and peanut butter sandwiches

Hello, One and All,

Happy Valentine's Day!
Especially to, yes, you.

Lubbock is producing yet more beautiful and lovely weather. You probably can't tell just by reading this, but there's a lot of sarcasm to my tone of thought. All that aside, we are having some very nice temperatures, and I'm going to miss them when the summer comes.

On Monday, we finally moved into the Mortensens' home. We stay in their basement, and it's HUGE! The main living room in the basement is honestly comparable in size to our whole house. It also houses the (currently unused) home theater system. Before we saw the place, President Robison warned us that "there are more toys there than Toys 'R' Us", and it's true. For example, there's a ping-pong table and an air hockey table. We haven't used either one, but one of these P-days we just might. There's also a fridge, sink, bathroom, and they bought us a hot plate, and built a shelf for our microwave.

Elder Northey is sleeping on a king-sized bed and Elder Rasmussen on a queen-sized. They've also let use their washing machine on P-days. Brother Mortensen can usually be found in the evenings on his recliner upstairs, watching westerns on TV. Sometimes, he falls asleep, and we walk by unnoticed. They're [the Mortensens] in the singles' branch presidency, and you can see why. They're really friendly and they love the missionaries.

Now, Elder Craven and his new companion, Elder King (who was just trained by the zone leaders last transfer) are living in our apartment. Until now, that companionship has been living far outside the ward (and their area) boundaries, so this will help save them a lot of miles. A new sister companionship (they cover the singles' branch) is now staying at Elders Johnson's and Rasmussen's old place.

Also, the Hansens arrived from the MTC. They had some car troubles in northern Utah, but they finally made it here safe and sound. They're really nice people and are excited to get to work. They've already served a humanitarian mission as employment specialists in the Philippines, and now they're serving another mission.

Elder Hansen is taking over Elder Johnson's job and will be in charge of referrals, supplies, and cell phones. Sister Hansen is taking my spot and will be the mission secretary. I'm going to be the financial secretary and Elder Rasmussen will have the record for the shortest time in the office. This process of musical chairs won't be immediate, though, since we have to train each other. It's obvious Sister Hansen hasn't had much experience with computers, but she can pick things up really quick, and she can use the mouse. If you have those two skills, you can get the rest, no problem.

Monday through Wednesday was also transfers. We got to meet the four new missionaries: two Sisters, one English Elder, and one Spanish Elder. We got to have dinner at the mission home (twice), and we ate lunch with the greenies at Lin's Chinese buffet. (That's the tradition for every transfer - when I came here, it was Golden Corral buffet, but President Robison apparently hates that place ;). ) Like last transfer, we were going back and forth, running errands all over the place. It's fun, but tiring.

Oh, and I did get my new card, and it does work. All the money I didn't spend has made me a very rich missionary (by missionary standards). I think I'm in second place, actually. Once I'm settled in the finances desk, I'll be able to check it every day, if I want.

I'm still kinda nervous about it - switching jobs, that is. I don't know anything about money, or banking, or chequing... and if I make a mistake, it's a lot more expensive... but, whatever. We each have our own little role in the world, and if mine is to make sure that the thousands upon thousands of dollars that pass through this mission is not utterly lost, then so be it. I'll take it.

I love being on a mission. It's tough - in many ways, ways that I never thought it would - but I wouldn't trade it for the best job offer, the best school, or any amount of riches in the world. Well, maybe a ten-digit figure - I don't know.

If ever you find yourself questioning your testimony, question the source of your doubt first. If you find half a leaf on a tree amongst the thousands of whole ones, it's more likely that an animal came by and nibbled on it, rather than the tree being dead.

The same is with the Church. It is true.

I love you! Have a Happy Valentine's day!

-Elder Brandon Wong

Something I wish I knew before my mission: how to cook quick and delicious meals. (Can anyone help me on that?)

No comments: