Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday, February 21, 2009 - Animal tagging... wax parties... step-daughters... what's next?

Hello!

How's it going?

Just a couple hours ago, Elder Northey and I got back from Brother Mortensen's ranch. He asked if we would like to help him out on our P-day, and we thought it might be cool. It actually turned out to be very cold, being below freezing the whole time we were there (the wind didn't help, either). Other than that, it was actually pretty interesting and fun. We checked on some of his cattle, and we tagged a new calf. You know the white tag that's stuck to their ears? Yeah, we put that on. I had to hold him down. Afterwards, we helped put up some fencing on a corral that he had. Don't get to say that I did that everyday, huh?

Training in the office continues. I'm learning how to make receipts, deposit slips, electronic transfers, reimbursements, and lots and lots of cheques; all while explaining how to send off flight itineraries, make board cards, and update missionary information. I can honestly say that I never expected this when planning to go on a mission.

One cool thing about this is, whenever a missionary trains another missionary, the latter is considered by missionary lingo to be the former's "son". So, Elder Jenkins is my "dad", and I am his "son". Now, I am the only Elder in the mission that can claim to have a "daughter". I thought that was neat. Ironically, she [Sister Hansen] is old enough to be my grandmother.

If I get time, I'd like to do a "mission info" page, explaining all sorts of things about missions in general and about this mission in particular. You should remind me if I forget.

On a somewhat sad note, our most progressing investigator has apparently moved away. She lived here with her family, but the last time we called, the family member said she moved. We had a hard time hearing over the phone (because the grandmother's English is pretty bad), but it seems to be true. I was pretty disappointed.

Elders Northey and Johnson were travelling with the assistants to the zone conferences up north. I hope I'll get to go next time, because, so far, I have not set foot in Roswell, or in Amarillo. I've been to every other major city (and zone) in the mission. They were going to each zone conference to inspect the vehicles of the missionaries. We had our conference in Lubbock on Thursday, so we had a big "car wax party" earlier in the week, where we all got together and waxed all the cars, followed by some activities.

Sorry about all of these items and ideas are so out of order; these are the ones that come to mind towards the end of each paragraph.

Another cool thing about being the financial secretary is that I have a special office credit card that I can buy things with, tax-exempt. They might give it to the Hansens (since Elder Northey has another one for cars), but for now, I'm carrying it.

We also helped the Hansens move into their new apartment. They're in the same apartment complex as we were in before we moved.

I also get to see how much money comes through the office. It's a lot. Missionary monthly allotments, medical expenses, telephone bills, rent, utilities... it gives you a better appreciation for being careful with Church money.

Anyways, hope all is well.
The Church is true. Complex, but true.

Unlike the Gospel, which is simple and true.

Anyways, talk to you later.

I love you!

-Elder Brandon Wong

Something I wish I knew before my mission: what a "general ledger" is.

No comments: